Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday Waffles



Nearly every Sunday for the past five years we have had Waffles for dinner. The tradition began shortly after we moved to Bakersfield, CA. We tried to invite a new family to eat with us each week, or month- depending on life at the time. It has been a fun way to make new friends, since we live so far from family. I love it because it is an easy meal to be prepared for and Kent usually fixes it- a night off for me :).

We always love having the full time missionaries from church come over for dinner. Many are in the area long enough to have waffles more than once, so this can create some competition- who has eaten the most? Elder Hansen used to hold the record. He has returned home now, but Elder Hunter is the current champion- 4 waffles! Above is a picture of him working on the second half of waffle #4- with Elder Robinson waiting- happy it is not him. There is also a picture of Elder Knight and Elder Winegar (who loved to pour some dough on top of his cooked waffle before drenching it in syrup) - both went home long ago.
Our children are always upset if something interferes with the waffle tradition- Kent and I find it refreshing :)


3 comments:

Drew Israelsen Family said...

Theres nothing better than breakfast for dinner!! What a fun tradition.

Rina said...

I love when the hubby cooks. Usually its only when we are camping..we need to go camping more often!!! I cooked teryaki salmon last night--mmmm.

James and Katrina said...

Great tradition! Kent chose something easy to cook though---waffles. Why is that? I asked James to cook dinner the other night, and he said okay if it's just hamburgers. I realized that he needs more opportunity to cook. Maybe Kent can't cook anything else either?