Thinking about Fathers today, I started reading through poetry online. I read some nice poems by well known American Poets, but it wasn't until I searched on lds.org that I found some that really touched me. President Gordon B. Hinckley said that when he was a boy, his father would offer him a coin now and again to memorize a poem or a piece of scripture. His father offered him 25 cents to memorize William Ernest Henley’s poem “Invictus.” Two verses of it are:
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.
(R. J. Cook, comp., One Hundred and One Famous Poems [1923], 95)
I remember listening to a talk as a family in my teenage years. The speaker and our Dad challenged us to memorize this thought: “There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.”
I believe being a good parent takes firm resolve and determination. I know I am learning and have plenty of room to grow as a nurturing mother. This poem is from the "Ensign" written by a mother for her daughter- I love it!
To Maryruth—April 1950 To a Young Plant
My little braided wonder
With your candid, asking eyes,
And cheeks like magic moth wings,
And words increasing wise,
Six Aprils have I loved you,
Discovering and learning;
A fragile plant expanding,
To warmth and sunlight turning.
Hungry, impatient daughter,
Root deep in me and flourish;
Your purpose is to flower,
And mine it is to nourish.
5 comments:
Looks fun. I wish I were there with you guys. I miss you. I think that we are going to go to the reunion. I wish that you were going to be there. Won't be the same without you guys.
Great to read your blog. Looks like you're having fun. You're a great friend! kat
Great to read your blog. Looks like you're having fun. You're a great friend! kat
I was sad to hear you guys aren't going to the reunion. The picture of you guys fishing is priceless. Never take one second of that time fishing together for granite!!
Hey Christy! This is Karen Skousen (Robinson now) Tell Catrina to invite me to her blog! faxprincess@gmail.com. Thanks!
So good to see your family. Laurel has a blog too - you can link to it from mine. (We made her sign up)
Post a Comment